A Moveable Feast

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Rhythm of Life


It's that 'ahhhhh' moment that happens sometime between seven and eight each night, when the kids are both tucked away in bed (well, one of them is chatting to himself, trying very hard to resist the temptation to call out to me because he's received the 'I'll close the door if you call out again' threat). Chaos reigns downstairs, but before I tackle it (which I do every night in order to maintain my sanity) I'll enjoy a cup of tea and unwind by blogging a bit.

Oh dear, I've just had the 'I want a cuddle call' which is a hard one to resist. The 'I want a glass of milk' or any other call I can resist fairly easily, but the 'cuddle call' pulls the heartstrings of even this hard ass (scuze my French). Most of the time it's just another tactic, but it's one call I don't like to gamble with especially because Lev has talked lately about being scared of this or that...

Good thing I went in - he wasn't scared, but he had stripped off down to his nappy. The wee man is now dressed again and his door is almost fully shut (leaving it all the way open post-cuddle would have meant a complete descent down the slippery slope to the toddler manipulation many of us know all to well!).

A few posts ago, I ended with a note to self to try as best as I could to embrace my life such as it is right now. It must have worked because I can say, in all honesty, that I have really enjoyed the last few weeks. I truly feel blessed to have this time to be with the kids and to take on most of the domestic stuff (yes, I really said that last bit). In fact most days I'm finding it a pleasure.

It's not that I don't want to do anything else (in fact, I'm gearing up to start in on the PhD again the week after next and I'm looking forward to it). It's more that I'm feeling the luxury of having the time to do things I enjoy without having to fit them in on top of work. Like going to the bi-weekly market, getting groceries (strange, I know, but I actually love grocery shopping), cooking (yes, cooking, too), taking a stroll in the park, eating lunch in a cafe - all of which I did today.

Yesterday I even had a moment when I thought, 'I'm pretty good at this'. It coincided with a 'Kramer vs. Kramer' moment. Do you remember the part of the film when Dustin Hoffman and the child make a perfect breakfast? They have their routine down to a science (a stark contrast to the first breakfast they have together after the couple's separation - eggs everywhere, burnt toast, etc.). In the passage of time they had found their rhythm.

Well, there we were in the kitchen (just the kids and I. No fears, Derek and I are still happily married - we were just letting him have a bit of a lie-in). I was flipping pancakes with one hand, giving samples to Lev on the chair beside me with the other (he always helps when we make pancakes), and was spooning banana and rice cereal into Anna with the third. And, oh yes, I managed to get the coffee on, too. I think that was all before 7:30. Before the day was done I had whipped up some butternut squash puree for Anna, made a yummy butternut squash risotto for supper, got a second coat of paint on one wall, a first coat on another, and baked fresh rolls after the kids were in bed.

The house is now very quiet. No sound from next door, so both my beautiful babes are asleep. Derek is in London tonight. My tea is long finished, and I've probably written more than you want to read in one blog. So I'll close my notebook and go down to the chaos that awaits me - strewn toys, supper dishes, cold bath water, coats and bags and a myriad of other things everywhere...each one a note that sounds out the rhythm of my life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Oh....Sandra, this takes my breath away. Almost as if you have re-stated the magic of motherhood, the highest calling of all.

How to know when they are really spooked or just spoofing you to get one more inch of attention. But to enjoy it all and being able to admit it. I wish the whole world could be reading your blog. As much as I am blessed by your research on the ascension, this piece about the rhythm of life thrills me even more.

2:07 PM  
Blogger sasha said...

Dad, you've always been my biggest fan. Love you.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Great things. I have no idea how you can make pancakes, coffee and feed Anna; I am imagining a kind of octopussy kind of move. Go girl!
I got your messages to call when you were in Manchester for the week. Sadly we were still in rainy Brittany. Anyways, we should make a date and meet up. Let us know when you are free and we can come visit or meet centrally (Lyme park?)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Hey Sandra : )
I always knew the good ole' Fach work ethic was legendary, but your domestic abilities have now been honed through motherhood to near ridiculous levels of aplomb. (Watch out Darlene... looks like we have a contender!)

Tremendous to hear how much fun you are having!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

My dear San. When you wrote this I was relaxing on a houseboat on the Shuswap. And you, my daughter, were where I was - how many years ago. The rhythms of life indeed.
I'm thinking the everyday "chores" of life are so much easier and more pleasant in your own home. So very happy for you.
And yes, Matt, a contender for sure. But she gets the prize. :)

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home